Thursday, August 25, 2011

Wednesday AA5







The Alive After Five event is a big deal for downtown Boise. I was there killing time. Our store has a booth there, manned by Ryan and Shawn. Ownership was in full effect, having a beer or two. I missed Dan Costello's opening set, which was unfortunate, but after seeing Jesse at Graebers and getting my hairs cut, I needed to go back to work and get my overnight bag, because I was going to spend the night in the St. Al's Sleep Lab, AKA Hotel 43. I had two Anchor Steam beers from the bar outside the BRICKOVEN.
A lot of white dudes here digging the Duke. He has about 90 albums for sale over at our booth. The man name checks them from the stage, which is nice. But, no one buys them. Kind of a slow night, maybe 2500 people on the Grove. Maybe....but it was very comfortable. And, kind of unmemorable. Even though the band was good, and people were nice and enjoying it and all. But, it was hot, and the fountain was getting a lot of action, and my boy K Watts buys me an Abita IPA, which is pretty malty. But good. And it all gets blurry when I have to go and check into the lab. I get my room, go up and get dressed for bed, meet the sleep technician, put her off for awhile, notice that my phone is getting low on juice, so I get dressed and head back to work to get my phone charger. I take my time, take some pictures on the way there, and the way back. Get to the hotel and I can't find my key. I then retrace my steps all the way back to the store, take all of the contents out of my pockets, and find the room keys stuck to my phone. Priceless. I then walk back, take more pictures, slip up to my room.
Even though I tell the sleep technician I want to get to sleep between 2130 and 2230, she evidently disagrees, because she shows up at 2035, raring to go. So, off we go. It takes nearly an hour to put all the sensors on me, and fit the CPAP mask.Several times she tells me that she is anal retentive, and that is why everything has to be just so. She leaves me there to go back to the sleep monitoring center, where we go through some eye movement, jaw and leg movement, and fake snoring to make sure the equipment is all working. And off we go. It's kind of claustrophobic having a plastic apparatus sealed onto your face, and a couple of times I broke it loose to scratch my nose. It seems like I woke up about 5 times because something came loose and the tech had to come in and reattach it.
Soon it was 0600, and my phone alarm is going off. It truly bothers the tech, because she tells me a couple more times how anal retentive she is. But, we get all the wires off and I'm left with a form to fill out, and glue on my head. I fill out the form first before I take a shower, because I know the tech will not rest until she gets the form. Because she is so anal retentive. Then, I check in with home, take a shower, pack up my stuff, and go to breakfast at Goldys. And get to work early. It was odd to feel so refreshed after a nights sleep. I am afraid it will never be as good without the plastic mask ever again.
Welcome to my fifties.

No comments:

Post a Comment